Thursday, July 21, 2005

PERSONALITIES ARE CONTAGIOUS

My usual Journeyman has been reassigned temporarily to an off site location far north from where we normally work.Since my car is down and another
journeyman's apprentice lives a stones throw from the off site location there has been a switch-a-roo authorized by the foreman.
The journeyman I've been working with for the last year presents himself as a dyed in the wool redneck electrician, we could'nt be more mismatched if you tried, He's a redneck, I'm a ...god...how would you describe me? Ex hippy, ex punk, redneck at heart kid that had the unfortunate fate of growing up Texas.
Over the course of the year, I have been able to forge a working relationship based on our common ground.
No...not the redneck thing, the texas thing. And plus he has a high work ethic like me, like I had in the psychic wars, I just needed to learn about the song and dance of electricians and apply it...for my redneck journeyman, it was as close as you can get to right on, or right on, preferably.
I've learned to appreciate this over the last 14 or so months and even to apply it to my own craft.
But now I find myself working with a different kind of electrician.He has the same knowledge, in fact, he was a journeyman way before my usual journeyman, so obstensibly, he knows more than the former.
But there's a problem. He's me in 5 years. This guy is 5 years older than me, but grew up in the same austin I did, did the same shit that I did, he is austin hippy, just like me, only 5 years down the line. He's stumbly and scattered, but always gets there in the end, almost the exact opposite of my usual journeyman...no method that you can discern, kind of a scattershot approach to the task at hand, but you always arrive at the same spot in the end.
Give or take 10 minutes or a day.But there is no question that he understands electricity, he just understands it in a different way, I am the lucky recipient of both approaches. I look at this guy and see myself... sort of, cause when I'm with my usual journeyman I'm all focused and task oriented, and when I work with the other one it's all laid back and scattered,but we get to the same spot in the end.
But I manage, in both situations.
In looking back on my time in the psychic wars, I was the distillation of these 2 guys, focused enough to get to the goal but stumbly enough to get you to play along.
Fuck...I'm Columbo.
And I really wasn't going there when I started.

No comments:

Post a Comment