Tuesday, July 05, 2005

"HEY...YOU WANNA HITCH TO HIGHLAND MALL"?

And so we went...Highland Mall was the first big mall in Austin and was way out north, far away from my house out by lake austin and my best bud Jenny's digs off of Red Bud Trail. But we hooked up and thumbed it out there...mostly we rode the bus and walked, and smoked joint after joint on the way. To us, it was a symbol of all that was wrong with the world in 1975 ( my best guess ) alternately it was a bunch of stores in one location just waiting to be pillaged by us. And pillage we did. Dolphins are timeless, jumping out of the imaginary surf on the counter in your bathroom and landing by the sink in a glass memory stolen from a specialty store in the mall and that 8 track of Emerson Lake and Palmers Brain Salad Surgery that I shoved down my pants in JC Penneys on our way out...in a fuzz of pot, and hippies and friendship
I spent over an hour and a half on the phone with my partner in the great mall robbery tonight, and while that was a small part of our talk, it generated the most laughs and "oh my gods" .
In between the shoplifting, we harrassed the other consumers asking for the security guards because we were feeling insecure...it was fucking hilarious.
I reconnected with a dear friend after 20 plus years...I found her finally with a google search of just the right spaces and letters. I'd been searching for years.
And we're dancing on that flag all over again.
If I could make a sentence about this experience to sum it up see the above and rule out the punctuation.

Part 5 of Knock at the door is up at Fullmetaljackass in order, where it will be from now on along with other attempts at short fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment