Monday, July 04, 2005

BAD DREAM


Theotis Droolis Maximus

Our largest dog, Theo, has taken to sleeping between us, usually with his head and shoulders above my head on my pillow. Theo has dreams a lot, but usually they are the typical dog dreams of "chasing rabbits", you know, the flicking of the feet, the curling of lips and the grunts and groans of the chase. But last night was different , the flicking of the feet amounted to punching me in the back...hard and frequent, his grunts and groans were yelps and cries...he woke me up with this nightmare.
I rolled over and put my arm around him and patted his side...he woke up with a start, and for a second I feared he might bite me in his confusion. He jammed his nose into my hand and sniffed. Realizing where he was, he let out a deep sigh and buried his face under my chin against my chest and fell back asleep.
Safe and sound.
What a big baby...but he's our baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment