Monday, June 01, 2009

A day off
I've had lots of time off work lately, but it's been from getting sent home early due to lack of call volume .  That doesn't quite give the same amount of free time as a day when I don't have to dress and drive to the office.  My work days go something like this - get up at 6:00, make coffee & breakfast, take care of the dogs, get dressed, leave the house at 7:30, drive to the office and log in by 8:00am.  Then work 2 or 3 or 4 hours until I get sent home.  Some days it's busy and I work a full shift, but those days are rare.  I picked up hours on Sunday (my normal day off) hoping to earn enough to pay the bills, but still only worked 2 hours before heading home. Seemed a waste of time, but I reminded myself that the $20 or so I earned will put gas in my car for another week.  

The bright side to all of this is that the irregular call volume has resulted in the opportunity to work from home in the next 30 days or so (just waiting on equipment installation back at the office.)  That will allow me to pick up more hours when things are busy - maybe just a few hours in the evenings, but every little bit will help pay the bills.  And if... er, ONCE (think positive) the new program is more established then I can work a regular shift again. 

In the meantime, I haven't stopped looking for another job but so far I haven't found anything that pays more for 40 hours a week than I currently make working just 20 hours.  Taking a job that pays less or even the same would be a mistake since we can't pay the bills now and a new job would likely cost me more in transportation expenses.  If I can tough it out and learn how to sell, then this current job has the potential to be pretty sweet deal once I get to work from home.  The tech support side of it is a piece of cake and somewhat enjoyable.  It's just the sales side that's giving me trouble.

There's no point in worrying about any of it, but it's a tough thing for me to just let it go.  I didn't used to have that problem - maybe it's a symptom of middle age.  I have noticed that the older I get, the more I worry and fret and get grumpy in general.  Today I'm going to try really hard to do the yard and house work without thinking about any of this stuff.  Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment