Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Hello 2006
I have an interesting start to the year in that I have a job interview tomorrow for a mid-management position. I was asked to apply for the job, but it's by no means a sure thing. In fact, I think the odds are pretty slim that I would be chosen over the rest of the rather stiff competition, but I've got nothing to lose by trying.

It didn't freak me out that I'm being interviewed the VPs, the Chairman of the Board and the Chief Financial Officer - been down that road plenty of times before. We are either going to be on the same page or not and there's no telling until the interview. If it's not a good fit, then I pray they don't decide to hire me because there's nothing worse than working for top management with a viewpoint that varies widely from your own (been there and done that.)

What did freak me out was figuring out what to wear with just 24 hours notice. Mid-management seems to all wear khaki slacks and polo shirts (it's mostly guys) and I own neither. I do have some "interview" clothes but I would be way overdressed and the interviews are after my shift so I'd spend the day miserable on the phones in those clothes. I finally settled on a new pair of black jeans and a new button down shirt. It won't win me any interview points, but at least I'll be comfortable.

And now I suppose I should go to bed. Tomorrow is going to be a long day with eight hours on the phones followed by two hours of interviews. I suspect that sleep is not going to come easy tonight so I might as well get on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment