Wednesday, August 17, 2005

THOUGHTS ON "OVER THERE"

For those of you who don't know...this is a cable show about the "war" in Iraq. "Gritty" "Down to earth" and all that. I have been watching because I am a war movie buff. I love war movies and that unending stream of war history that spews forth from the history channel. But there's something different here.
Other than that john wayne B movie "The green Berets" there weren't any movies or shows about the war in Viet nam that I was aware of made until after it was over. The exception may be "Go Tell The Spartans" but I'm not sure about that...I love war movies, but I'm not a geeky purist about it.
To me, war is something that you form the initial thoughts and opinions about while it's happening, and sort out the details later...was it worth it? Was it a just cause?
With "Over There" we get to see a fictionalized account of this seasons war. So far we've had the checkpoint episode, the civilian looking guy who knows where the rockets are but won't tell until the US interrogator threatens his little sister with rape by pakistani allies episode and the father and son spotter for mortar attacks episode.
It makes me line up and say the war on terror rocks...it makes me side up with soldiers facing impossible odds.
It makes me wonder why we can have a television show about a conflict that is far from being solved.
Has the news media grown so controlled about it's coverage of current events that we have to rely on a cable network to show what's really happening "Over There"?
It makes me sad and even more disillusioned.
Make believe war is war.

No comments:

Post a Comment