Wednesday, August 03, 2005

ONE MORE MEDIATION ON THIS MORTAL COIL AND THEN I'LL LEAVE IT ALONE

I talked to my other buddy tonight, and he wants the gram of Mark. We talked about how wanting to have the cremains might be kind of creepy...to have them on display with a picture or something. In our conversation he told me a story. Fu Manchu played at Emo's on the night of the anniversary of his death, his best girl was there as well as my friend and I'm guessing other friends of Mark. Fu Manchu was one of his favorite bands, so it made sense that they would gravitate there.
His best girl didn't give me the last of the ashes after all...she'd saved a bit ( why she did'nt tell me, I don't know ) and they did the coolest thing ever, they scattered his ashes on the floor of Emo's right by the stage.
I have seen many shows there with him and he loved the place. He got booted at a Jesus Lizard show and sweet talked the door girl into letting him poke his head in the door for the encore.
He was a rock and roll animal. And all those other rock and roll animals moshing on his ashes during a Fu show was the absolute shit in my mind, he would have loved it! It's just a shame it wasn't Clutch playing...that would have been way better.I remember him singing Clutch songs, amazed that they could write such catchy lyrics about food...and dragonflys.
My mom was cremated, and she sat in a closet until my dad died 5 years later. I had her ashes buried with my dad, because we were in Texas, not England. If I had been able to take my mom home I would have scattered her at some point on Hadrians wall.
It's all sentimental shit, I think, that makes us do the things we do with the remains of loved ones, and maybe sometimes guilt. And while I wasn't involved in Marks final resting places until the end, I know that he was scattered at places that he loved by people who loved him.
And I get the last say...the final spot.
And I'm honored by that, intentional or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment