Tuesday, August 23, 2005

CAN WE GET A MOVE ON HERE...HMMM?

Here's the latest on the baby thing...Gotta do a 24 hour fetal monitoring and urinalysis. If everything remains stable, labor will be induced at 1pm today. Well, the lab didn't pick up the urine as scheduled...BLAM! 3 to 4 hour delay. I talked to my son just before lunch and he said he would call me at 1pm. When I hadn't heard from him by 4, I called and talked to Brandy, who filled me in, sounding fatigued and worn out. They should know something around 5 or 6pm.
I finally called at 7:30pm...Talked to Brandy and learned that the OB had been called away to an emergency C section...she may stay another night, but no induced labor at this late hour...Keep me posted, I say.
A couple things about this come to mind...medical care in general has declined seriously in the last 20 years and I finally have a baseline, when Kyle was born in 85, I remember lots of attention and care and information. His mom and I went for the birthing center, and when that was no longer an option, the staff were great about explaining to us what was happening next and next and next.
They took our idealised vision of the birth of our son and managed to save it by taking the time to be professionals focused on patient care. But that was then and this is now...more patients, blah blah blah. But Kyle is not impressed with this new OB...they transferred from San Marcos to Austin, so this is no surprise to me, small city vs. big city...I guess Austin has grown beyond it's ability to offer truely individualized care.
Just talked to Kyle, and while it's too much to go into right now, I want this to be his gig, with Brandy. I let him know that whatever they needed...Even if it was just to hang out, let me know. He was talking about working tomorrow and I offered my 2 cents...be with Brandy, forget about work, forget about rent, his family would take care of him.
And I'm sure we will.
I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment