Saturday, August 20, 2005

Not jammin'
I broke out my bass today for the first time in a very long time. My rigs not here so I plugged into Rob's Laney amp. It was a very unsatisfactory experience. I'm not usually one for regrets, but sometimes I do regret that I didn't buy that Warwick bass I fell in love with down at Southpaws so many years ago back when I had the money to afford it. As such, I'm still playing my el-cheapo Ibanez with it's one dead pickup, crapped out pots and bad spot on the neck. The Laney can't make up for that fact that it's a cheap bass and the only thing that makes this guitar sound even remotely good is my regular rig. Still, I love this guitar for all it's flaws. It fits me like a glove, something the overpriced Warwick would not have done. In fact, I have an ancient Washburn bass which sounds much better, but I never play it because it sends me into instant carpal tunnel pain. But I can play the Ibanez for hours with just a few occasional grimaces. I suppose I should take it to the bass doctor here in town, but I feel silly bringing in such a piece of junk for improvements. Then again, there's got to be other guitar players out there that are attached to their cheap piece of junk and willing to invest more in repairs/upgrades than they paid for the instrument in the first place. And if I remember correctly, Rob's one of them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment