Thursday, August 25, 2005

Damn my conscience
I was at work today and then lunchtime came around so I left my workstation to go to lunch. When I came back, someone else was sitting there and there were no more open spots. I could have pitched a fit and then hung around and got paid for doing nothing, but I opted to go home instead. This is an attitude that puzzles my coworkers, but it's a huge waste of my time and the company's money for me to just sit around in the break room twiddling my thumbs. The thought causes me enough mental grief that I'd rather spend the afternoon taking the bus home. So that's what I did, missing the bus by just a few minutes so I had a 28 minute wait for the next one. Since I had just missed the bus, the bench was empty so I got to sit down for a change. I only had a few minutes of quiet before someone approached and wouldn't you know it was a chatty type. Ah well, I learned a few things about Costa Rica, but quite frankly the reasons this person moved back to the states seemed pretty lame. Apparently the electricity goes off once and a while, there are no Walmarts and you can't buy a good t-bone steak. I suppose if those are one's priorities, then the US is the better place to live. After a stop at the HEB grocery store (which reminded me why I hate to cart home groceries by bus) I eventually made it home three hours after I left work; hot, sweaty and wanting some cold air conditioning. Except our air conditioners suck. Oops, forgot about that part. As nice as it was to sit on my own couch and drink a cold beer during that last hour that I would have been at work, I should have just stayed put and taken the pay for doing nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment