Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A change of plans
I haven't posted for a while, but it's been quite an eventful time with a job resignation, a broken down car and the property tax crisis all crammed into the last two weeks. A good chunk of this time was spent pondering this question from my current employer: "What would it take to get you to stay?" I thought about what could be changed, but the truth was there was not much that could be done to improve the situation in the short term. However, I also noticed that the side effects of the job, that process of turning into a negative asshole of a person, were cumulative. After a couple of days off I usually felt back to my old self. Until I worked another three or four days and then by the end of day five I was about as miserable as a person could be. I decided to request that I be allowed I drop down to four days a week which is something that was previously not allowed for someone in my current job description (there is no good reason to require this position be full time, but it's always been mandatory.) They agreed so instead of hanging up my headset and driving off into the sunset never to return after Saturday, I'll come back and start the new schedule on the following Tuesday.

Now I would have much preferred having a better job come my way so I could have told them to stick it, but reality dictates that the bills be paid and I'll earn more working four days a week there than I would grabbing any of the 40 hour a week jobs currently available to me. And before I made my final decision, I did give it a trial run last week (only working four days) and that seems to have done the trick. Time will tell and of course, I'll still be keeping my eye out for a new job.

P.S. In honor of my extra 8 hours a week of "free time" I have signed up for NaBloPoMo. One post a day for the month of November, whether or not I have anything worthwhile to say. I suffer from persistent writer's block so maybe this will cure it.

No comments:

Post a Comment