Sunday, October 14, 2007

I'M AN ELECTRICIAN NOT AN AUTO MECHANIC

When I was younger cars were simple things,there were no on board computers and sensors and stuff to make it impossible to do shade tree mechanics.I liked working on my 57 chevy apache and my 65 bonneville.
Ann's 92 tempo refused to start the other day,and I followed the sage advice of a friend from years ago:start with the simplest possible reason and work your way up the chain.I removed and cleaned the battery posts and connectors.Nope.I checked the voltage of the battery...a healthy 12.5 volts DC.I located the starter and attempted to remove it to have it checked,no dice.
The 92 tempo has a transverse mounted engine...the fucking thing is in there sideways...I have never understood the logic in this and just looking at a transverse mounted engine gives me a headache...the way the starter is mounted there are bolts and a bracket you cannot reach with any type of wrench,ratchet or socket.I gave it a go,but was ultimately unsuccessful.
So it's off to the shop for the tempo and a period of car pooling that we both are so not looking forward to.

Update...upon further exploration and application we have been able to determine it is the starter solenoid,which is not a type of wine.I love my multi meter and the internet tubes of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment