Thursday, October 25, 2007

TMO



This is a shot from inside the elevator of the 7th floor.I left it as is.7 is the most graffiti laden floor of them all for some reason,and while you find the letters TMO scattered around the place they are most frequent here on 7.TMO is standard vernacular for "typical mexican operation".It's a slam.
While my whole crew has a very diverse population (we are equally represented by all groups)and we get along well,some of the trades are still dominated by backward racist white rednecks,who,in comparison to us,when they say the following shit they are dead serious and there is a tinge of hatred in the tone and spirit of it.When we say it,it's all in good fun,and the insults fly back and forth freely between the races.
Which brings me to todays safety meeting.Today was an open forum,with our meeting leaders opening it up to all of us to raise concerns of a safety nature.(Sounds like someone on the general contractors team paid for a workshop not unlike the dog and pony shows I used to have to endure back in the day and wanted to get their moneys worth).
A crusty old welder was the first to chime in..."You know,there's a lot of people here who don't speak english or even understand it,and we don't speak mexican(!)and I'm gettin' real fucking tired of...when,you know,somethin's falling or somethin' like that and I yell 'LOOK OUT!' and they don't fuckin' understand what I'm sayin'...it's unsafe".
What,exactly, is this guy expecting?I look forward to the english as a second language classes the GC is gonna start up next week on site on mondays,wednesdays and fridays from 10 to 11 am...HA!
I think everyone can understand LOOK OUT! no matter what fucking language you speak.
And it kind of fizzled after that,if I was that guy I would be extra sure to have my hard hat on at all times for awhile.
Anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment