Monday, September 04, 2006

Not gonna create that resume just yet
It's amazing what a little blog venting and some dedicated slacking off with beer and loud music can do to improve one's attitude. It's not enough to get me to return to 60+ hour work weeks without an eye towards greener pastures, but I think I can at least pull off the next several days at work without making a rash decision to resign. And so tonight I was slacking off, drinking beer and listening to music when I decided to clean the tire changing gunk out from under my fingernails and discovered that I had fingernails that were a 1/2 inch long. This wouldn't be an odd thing for a lot of women, but for me it's pretty strange because I've always kept my fingernails cut short. Not because I can't grow them out since my fingernails are so tough I have to cut them with toenail clippers, but because they get in the way of playing an instrument - first the piano, then the guitar, then the bass. Yeah, you can have long fingernails if you play the piano, but that clicky-click sound always drove me crazy. Anyway, I've been chopping my fingernails off since age five when I starting playing piano so it was a bit of a wake up call to see them that long. I realized that I haven't been playing my bass much at all over the last few years because it just isn't much fun as a solo instrument. I love playing bass with a band, but by myself - not so much of a thrill. I suppose I could pick up a guitar again, but I've never been very keen on that instrument. Now if I had a piano, I'd be playing that most every day, but even if I had the money to buy it, there's no good place in this house for one. I've also played the flute and the piano accordian in the past, but I have no burning desire to return to either of those instruments. But there is one instrument that I've always wanted to play, ever since I was a little bitty kid, and that's the fiddle. Maybe it's because my grandpa was a fiddle player or maybe it's from all that time I spent in family-friendly Texas hill country dance halls as a kid, but it's something I've always wanted to try my hand at. So I poked around on the internet and found I could afford a fiddle. I even found someone nearby that would give lessons for an amount I could afford. But faced with the possibility, I find I have suddenly have cold feet. What, here's a chance to accomplish a childhood ambition and I'm balking? Me, whose knocked down barriers and taken on challenges all her life? What the fuck is wrong with me? I think I better get my ass down to the music store on my next day off and buy a fiddle. And I should probably buy Rob some earplugs while I'm at it because there are few things that sound worse than a fiddle played badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment