Thursday, September 07, 2006

ALL THINGS MUST PASS

Well, I got my marching orders today. Tomorrrow may be my last day at the university, depending on when they can place the new apprentice. If i'm really lucky I might get another week, but i doubt it. The good news is I'm being transferred, not laid off, and I have worked with the journeyman before...and it's a site that's closer to home.
Like I said, I believe I can cut it anywhere, but it won't be the same. The crews I've been working with for these 2 1/2 plus years have a camraderie, I feel connected to them and also to the UT electricians and supervisors, as well as the other trades we've worked with.
I have seen plenty of electricians come and go (short calls) during this time...here today, gone tomorrow, that's the nature of union/contractor labor...no good byes, just gone on to the next job.
I guess there's just enough social worker left in me that I have to say good bye to a group of people that helped me reinvent myself, literally.
After I lost my job at the pool place I was a fish out of water, Rusty offered me a paycheck for 2 weeks and that turned into this.
I never dreamed in a million years that I would call myself an electrician, but that's what I am.
I'm sure I'll stay in touch with Rusty, after all, we've been friends for years, and I owe him a lawnmower (HA!). I'll try to stay in touch with Wolfie and Clark, the crew I've spent the most time with.
And tomorrow I'll take pictures of them all, for history and for remembering an important time in my life.
Then on to the next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment