Saturday, September 09, 2006

Generation gap
Tomorrow I work the Sunday day shift which is always an odd shift because it's done solo with no other managers or admins (the big bosses) to be found. I've been told by coworkers that they love this shift because they get to be "in charge" and call all the shots during the busy part of the day (late night shifts are also solo, but tend to be pretty quiet with very few employees on the floor.) I find this attitude rather puzzling because the only difference I notice on Sundays is that there's no one around to help if things get crazy. I feel just as much "in charge" on a Monday as I do on a Sunday. Sure, the admins are not there on Sunday telling me to do stuff, but they don't ever tell me to do anything on a Monday that I don't already know I ought to be doing in the first place. I'm not so sure it's the "in charge" part that appeals to my co-workers. I think it's more along the lines of "all that stuff is stupid so I can decide not to do it" which, I suppose, if you are 25 to 30 years old could translate into being "in charge". But I'm 15 to 20 years older and I've been around long enough to learn that breaking the rules doesn't put you in charge. The real power is when you can get the rules changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment