Saturday, June 03, 2006

Weekend laziness & dress code thoughts
I snagged a weekend off and I have a long list of projects to do as well as the necessary housework stuff, but I've spent the day sitting at the computer in my pajamas instead. I spent about 6 hours on work-related stuff, but it was things I wanted to do (as opposed to things I need to do) so that doesn't really count as work. The stress from the job comes and goes, but I suspect 80% of it is just because I'm new at this particular job description and have unrealistic expectations of what I ought to be able to do right off the bat. An interesting twist in the workplace (and one I can talk about) is the changes to the dress code. No jeans has always been the rule, but it's been extended to no "jeans-like" pants and now shirts must be tucked-in. That's all fine and good if you are skinny, but I'm fat and tucking in a shirt is something I refuse to do until I lose about 80 more pounds. So the first day I'm at the office following the new dress code, I'm in a casual skirt set with sensible pumps and damned if I don't I get asked if I was off at a job interview before I came in. I had to laugh because what I was wearing was far too casual for a job interview. Truth be told, I don't mind wearing skirts except that they usually have no pockets and it's a bit awkward when I have to crawl under a desk to plug in my laptop. Oh, and the fact that my chair tends to roll over them. No, it's mostly the shoes that drive me nuts since there's always a "no sandals" rule and this place is no exception. My toes like to have lots of room and woman's closed toe dress shoes always seem intent on cramming the toes together as much as possible. I'm sure I'll come up with an acceptable wardrobe that's also comfortable, but that requires shopping which I absolutely hate to do. That said, some of the guys have had it a lot harder than me since there's also new "no hat" rule. Since Rob's a hat wearer, I've seen the distress that occurs when a suitable hat cannot be found so I can well imagine the effect of being forbidden to wear a hat at all. After all, this is Austin, Texas and a gimmie hat is almost required wearing for guys around here. Ah well, it's not like tech support can't be outsourced overseas for 1/10 the price and if keeping the business here requires a bit more "professional" attire, I suppose that's a small price to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment