Thursday, June 01, 2006

AN INTERESTING COUPLE OF DAYS

Me and my friend were on our way to his court ordered drunky class yesterday, it was friend and / or family night, a kind of show and tell. I went with because he's mah friend and all that.
I felt like I was in a staff development class back when I worked at the Oaks treatment center, but really..back in the day...that day, back in 1986. The instructor even showed a video from 86 about addiction and codependence. Flash-fucking-back. It was amusing to see the same propaganda employed after all these years.
As I posted earlier, I have this electricians evaluation looming on the horizon. As with any organization, there are many versions of the truth about shit like this, so when I went and paid my dues I met with the person in charge of the program I'm in and got the union version of this evaluation. I say union version vs. union member version because, like any business versions vary.
Anyhoo...out of the seven catagories, there are three that I could usesome practice time on...stuff I've only done a few times in two years and stuff I haven't the slightest clue about. This being a one time skills assessment, I want to do well. So I rescheduled for the first saturday in July to do it. If I do well, I could get a substantial raise. That's a double edged sword because that raise could get me reassigned. I could end up drivin' a shovel in a ditch at some other job site. The quality of training I've gotten comfortable with at my current job would be over...I could end up surrounded by typical texas redneck electricians who believe in a different kind of training. One that involves humiliation and abuse. That would never work for me, I would kick thier asses.
Horns of a dilemma...more money vs. quality of training...meh...we need the money.
But enough about work.
Except to say that Ann had a rough day at her work today, I could hear it in her voice when she called me after her shift. I suggested dinner out and we ended up at a tex mex place we go to sometimes (La Feria) ...they have a mariachi band on Thursday nights that go from table to table playing songs. Which is why we don't go there on Thursdays as a rule, but the memorial day holiday on monday threw my schedule off and there we were listening to mariachi music.
At first it was annoying...we couldn't have a conversation, but after a few songs the musicians in us realized how tight they were. They were good. When they got around to our table I asked if they knew any Black Flag? No...How about some Zeppelin? No...Any blues? No...They could play something slow if we wanted. Then the horn player suggested some Cash.
OK.I'll quit fuckin' with you if you play some Cash. We were then treated to a most amazing version of Ring of Fire.It was awesome! We went from the mexican hat dance to crass americana. It was cool.
After dinner we went to waterloo and I got a CD by locals The Black Angels and Ann got the new James McMurtry ( also a local ). The original mission was to get a dvd called winter soldier...a 1970's documentary about atrocities in vietnam as recounted by the soldiers that perpetrated them. Ann found itonline when we got home and it was ordered along with another one called The year of the pig...also about the VN war. So I will be watching the mailbox for awhile...Cause you know I love that VN documentary stuff. C'mon Amazon...hurry.
I think by the time we got home Ann's spirits were lifted some. The Black Angels CD is very good and James proves once again that he is an amazing lyricist.
Everyone's at least grinning. There's more but I'll save it for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment