Monday, May 01, 2006

OBSERVATIONS ON " A DAY WITHOUT IMMIGRANTS" THE AUSTIN VERSION

I noticed there were no mexicans at the plethora of bus stops I pass on my way to work, which are usually teeming with them.
There were no shitty late 70's early 80's conversion vans packed full of mexicans, with ladders tied dangerously on top trying to kill me on my way to work, in fact, I shared the road with late model sedans packed full of one yuppy each.
Los Altos was CLOSED...so no breakfast and no Juanita for us all to lech after. Ann pointed out that the mexican establishments and contractors that were closed were probably not working because this, May 1, is (maybe not so coincidentally) MEXICAN LABOR DAY. HMMMMMMM.??? Have they sandbagged us?
The mexicans we work with all showed up...to our delight, as we asked incredulously..."What are you doing here"? Trust me, it was funny.
We saw mexican students...going to class....I swear.
We saw mexicans buying things...gas,cigarettes, and to my amusement, tamales...from a Paki quick stop...how's that for irony???
Construction sites were largely quiet today, but it was reported on NPR that contractors gave folks the day off here because they knew they were'nt going to show up anyway.
So the city didn't come to a screeching halt, and I think I know why.
While this immigration thing might play big in LA or Denver, it's just not as big of a deal here in Austin...crawling with immigrants, legal and otherwise, but integrated into the community, and contributing to it's pulse.
The population of the US of A is estimated at 298,444,215. At 11,000,000...(estimated) illegal immigrants are a drop in the bucket. Even if you divided the population by three, that's still 99,481,405 lawns that need attention.
Much ado about nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment