Wednesday, May 24, 2006

IT'S BEEN A LONG TWO WEEKS

When I started out as an apprentice electrician two years ago, it was on a short call ( two weeks of work) instigated by my friend and now journeyman. In that time I have joined the union gotten a license, and learned that I can do this job...in fact, enjoy doing this job.
Now, it's alot different from my previous seven years working at the pool company, and worlds away from the social work I did for twenty years. Two years in and I still have alot to learn, but what I've learned so far will be put to the test at the apprentice hall on June third.
It's a seven station hands on skill evaluation, they tell me it takes all day.
How the program i'm in works is like this...You get one SBC credit for every hour you work and report ( I have about 4000 of those ) as you reach SBC milestones you get raises and progress towards "turning out" or becoming a journeyman electrician. This seven station evaluation is worth 2400 sbc's and consists of the following:
1. Raceways...that's the stuff wire is in...conduit, wiremold, panduit, gutters, junction boxes etc.
No problem here.
2. Breaker panels...you have to assemble one.
No problem.
3. Branch circuits ( the plugs on the wall and how to get there)
No problem
4. Transformers.
No problem.
5. Safety / quick disconnects.
No problem.
6. Motor controls.
Not so confident on this one.
7. Lighting.
No problem here, except for switch legs, they confound me.
Color me nervous? You bet!
I was also told to bring my hand tools ( no doubt to see if I have the required tools besides needing them for the eval ) I guess it's time to finally buy a hacksaw...and some dykes.


No comments:

Post a Comment