Saturday, April 26, 2003

It was 1975...Viet Nam was still fresh in our heads...we were a country at odds with itself.I was 16 year old, pot smoking, anti war, peace lovin' hair farmer...I drove a 1965 Pontiac Bonneville...4 door...white with a red interior... a land yaught.
It cost me 165.00 to drive it out of a pasture in Elgin into Austin, and here's where the story begins.
I was cruising one night with my friend Doc when we passed a van parked on the side of the road...we needed gas and decided to liberate whatever gas this van had for our cause...more cruising. I noticed an american flag hanging from the ceiling of the van,then I noticed stars had been strategically removed to form the shape of a peace sign. I thought this was cool...so I took it.(Bad kharma move # 2...# 1 was stealing the gas)
The flag got alot of use...we took it to school and had picnics on it...we strained pot tea through it...we pretended to burn it...we danced on it. We took pictures of all the things we did,passing the pictures around at partys and laughing...never giving it a second thought ...hey this is america...I can do what I want.
I drove around town without a care in the world beyond what I was gonna do tomorrow...
Flash forward.....

No comments:

Post a Comment