Sunday, April 27, 2003

Ann responds:
I was 14 years old in 1975 and a sense of freedom was certainly not part of my daily life. In fact, that year would put me right in the middle of an ugly battle for independence and freedom from parental control. I'll have to fast forward a couple of years to 1978 when I had the newfound freedoms of a driver's license and my own car. If I peer back through the mists of time, I can find nothing to directly correlate to Rob's experience. I wasn't dancing on flags and making pot tea. The closest thing to any sort of protest would be my insistence on underage drinking and drag racing. That wasn't political protest, but simple teenage defiance of laws I that thought were too restrictive. We drank and raced in a responsible manner and made sure we didn't endanger anyone other than ourselves in the process. If we weren't hurting anyone else, why should there be a law? Yes, there's a political aspect to that kind of thinking, but not one I was aware of at the time. It was simple defiance, nothing else. I knew if I got caught, I would face fines and/or go to jail. Flash forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment