Thursday, June 10, 2010

Lots of changes
There has been much going on that Rob and I have not blogged about, but the basics are that we are splitting up and going off in different directions. It wasn't my choice, but that's the way it is and I will just have to make the best of it.

The house has been sold and in five weeks, I will officially no longer live in South Austin for the first time in my entire life. I had an impossible time finding a rental since I've only had part-time income for the last year, plus I have dogs. Finding a new place to live wasn't working out very well and I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I mentioned to my parents at one point that I thought I might have to just buy a used RV to live in and what a crazy idea that was! Well, my parents owned an RV for many, many years and it turns out that they didn't think it was such a crazy idea at all. In fact, they liked the idea so much that they went out looking for one. I didn't know they were doing this until they called me to say they had found a great deal on a gently used RV and asked me to come take a look at it, which I did.

Now Rob and I had talked about doing this same thing one day, selling the house and buying an RV, but for me that dream had always been in the context of our relationship. I'd never really considered it in any other way (or so I thought at the time, more on that in a later post.) So there I was on the sales lot with only a couple of hours to make a decision about this crazy idea. I puttered around the trailer a bit - stood in the shower, laid on the bed, pretended to cook in the kitchen, etc. and started weighing the pros and the cons. But there was just too much to sort out in such a short period of time so I stopped trying to do that and instead, I took a look at how my gut instincts felt about the whole idea. I was surprised to discover that I didn't have any strong feelings one way or the other. This was real different from how I'd felt when looking at the few rentals where I might have been able to get approved. That was always a "No, don't do it," feeling. But while there wasn't a "No" feeling, there also wasn't a feeling of "Yes, this is the way to go." either. It felt more like... well, like I was deciding what to have for breakfast or what to wear to work. How odd. I considered this to be a major, life changing decision and yet it didn't "feel" anything like that at all. And I thought to myself, "If it doesn't matter one way or the other, why not go for it?" So I did and became the owner of a 2001 Sunnybrook Mobile Scout FSK 27 foot travel trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment