Tuesday, October 19, 2004

I WORKED HIGH TODAY

Meaning altitude...not state of consciousness. I was on a lift (2 different types actually) running conduit in the basement of one of the museums at UT. I believe the top of the ceiling is 20 feet high. To make all the connections uniform it is necessary to cut the individual conduit to size (we are running 3- 1" and 4 or 5- 3/4"...it looks like a silver can of silly string exploded on the ceiling) with a "port-a-band" band saw.

I love my port-a-band, but I have to say that cutting conduit with the saw less than six inches from my face and upside down, almost 20 feet in the air was an experience. By the second cut, I was comfortable. I even felt a sense of accomplishment.
And then I watched the two journeymen trace existing conduit in the slab via junction boxes and marvelled at how they climbed around on the rails of the cages on these lifts like monkeys in redwing boots.
And I realized my journey is still just beginning.
I'll try to get some pics for tomorrows post...just to help with the visuals.

**Stoned guy with a skink on his head-episode three...the day after tomorrow! Get your questions in!**

[Listening to: Doubt - The Cure - Faith (3:08)]

No comments:

Post a Comment