Monday, October 25, 2004

DISTURBING DISCOVERY

I was checking on the turtles this evening and discovered Cracker's left front foot was, uh....gone, actually, his whole fucking leg is gone. That's the bad news. I checked on and accounted for all the others and moved them to a secure area...no other casualties.
I brought him in the house and gave him a soak in some fresh, lukewarm water for a few minutes, while he was initially unresponsive, he soon started exploring his new surroundings, sticking his nose up and looking around. I chopped up some yellow squash and mixed it with the magic stinky cat food...he's eating it. A very good sign.
So...what could have taken off Cracker's leg? It's a very short list beginning with a racoon (not likely, cause he is still with us) and moving to neighborhood cat (it's possible) down to rat (not likely in that big of a pen)
and finally...male turtles fighting. My money is on the latter, but he has been the dominant male since he bit off Big A's tail ( as it turned out, a fatal injury) and the only other males in the pen are old dudes.
It could have been one of the girls,grown tired of his seemingly endless libido. I'm stumped (no pun intended).
Now, Cracker has a history. He came to the name Cracker as a result of being hit by a car, and having his under carriage held in place by marine grade fiberglas...this is how he came to me, several years ago.He healed and the last remnants of fiberglas fell off last year, revealing a healed, but somewhat "rearranged" plastron hinge.He has those blazing red eyes...even now, with such a trauma to deal with.And, he's eating.
Even though we are poor with a capitol PO', he will go to my vet tomorrow for antibiotics and a shot of fluids...as I am out of both.
You know...he's been a survivor to this point, I'm thinking good thoughts. You guys too, ok?

[Listening to: Guiding Light - Television - Marquee Moon (5:35)]

No comments:

Post a Comment