Saturday, October 23, 2004

AFTERMATH

The party was fun...good folks, good food and a good time. The music was good, but Van was a bit of a dick when I finally worked up the courage to go introduce myself and give him props. I have to cut him some slack though, because he's probably endured all manner of fan weirdness over the years, but come on...this was a back yard in south austin, not the fucking met...oh well. At least I got to say what a blast I had seeing him at the dillo all those years ago( maybe it was the word "teenager" ) before he shined me on.
I brought a small bottle of jager to share with the guest of honor, and we pounded it down in short time...this would prove to be a mistake for me since I haven't had jager in any amount in several months. To make matters worse, Wolfie took the empty bottle and filled it with vodka..."jager flavored vodka" he proclaimed as we hit the bottle. ( it seemed like a good idea at the time).
All in all, it was fun...but a bit fuzzy towards the end. Ann drove us home and I went straight to bed.
When I woke up this morning, I recalled the conversations of the night before, and most of them revolved around reminices of the past and how we are all falling apart in our old age...failing vision,bad bones, aches and pains. It was the group realization version of if we had known we were gonna live this long we would have taken better care of ourselves.
And then it hit me...I am (almost) middle aged. Damn! Where did the time go? It seems like yesterday that I was hanging out in the clubs, with nary a worry in the world.
Today, it is a world rife with worry and uncertainty.
I'm thinking this is somehow, someway, backwards. I'm not ready for this sort of thing (indeed).

[Listening to: Anna Begins - Counting Crows - August & Everything After (4:31)]

No comments:

Post a Comment