Tuesday, September 27, 2005

HOW HOT IS IT?

I'll tell you how hot it is...hot enough to cook three of my turtles alive, in the shade, in two hours. That's how hot it is. Otherwise it was a beautiful day. Speckled shade on the deck, a nice breeze that certainly didn't belie the 107 degrees it actually was. Well, to be fair, it was only 104 in our neck of the woods.I had no idea it was that hot and I thought, "wow, it's a beautiful day...I think I'll put the herd out for some vitamin S. Checked them after an hour to make sure they were still in partial shade, it's all good. Check an hour later...DAMMIT!:( .
I rushed them all back inside and did what I could, managed to save one of the easterns who was foaming at the beak and nostrils, but her two sisters were gone, as was Lucky, my malayan pride and joy...What a fucked up name that turned out to be after all. That's what I've been saying to myself. Five years ago I got Lucky from a person who had bought her from a pet store that gave BAD advice, she was like a shell full of air...I got her to come around and in the following years she thrived,tripling in size, brilliant colors and quite a personality. Those easterns had been with us for six or so years, given to us by a dear friend and fellow rescuer who had two dozen sick and injured wild caught easterns dumped on her, she called me and I took some in.So many, in fact, it was almost an around the clock operation to treat them all and bring them around, but I pulled it off. Our friend is no longer with us, so these easterns were, in some sense, her legacy...to me anyway.My tribute to her efforts.
So...how hot is it?
Hot enough to break my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment