Thursday, September 15, 2005

Forty-four
I turned 44 years old today. I usually don't make much of my birthday, but I decided that 44 was a pretty cool number and scheduled myself off work today. My birthday plans were simple; I wanted to hook up my computer up to the stereo and spend the day lounging around playing my favorite songs out of the iTunes catalog which is so much easier than sorting through 700+ disorganized CDs. Unfortunately our bank account was in the red and I needed to buy the some connectors to accomplish my goal and Rob wouldn't get his paycheck until later in the day. So when my parents made an offer to take me to lunch and buy me a couple of pairs of jeans for my birthday, I happily took them up on the suggestion. As it turned out I got to do both. Necessity might be the mother of invention, but I'd gather that desire is the father because I managed to come up with a way to connect the computer to the stereo using stuff we had around the house. It might be overkill to use the band's mixing board for such a purpose, but what the heck. I've had a grand time listening to stuff I wouldn't have been bothered to find otherwise. Rob came home bearing birthday gifts of flowers and beer. For dinner, rather than going out to eat, we ordered pizza and sat around doing one of my long-time favorite things to do I'm not sure what you'd call it, maybe "you pick, I pick", but it's something I started doing when I was a teenager where two or more of us would sit around and take turns picking which song to play next. It's a game I brought with me when I hooked up with Rob and he took to it pretty well, introducing me to a wealth of music I would not have otherwise heard. Which is pretty much the whole point and despite having been together for over ten years we still manage to pull something out of the hat from time to time and surprise each other. All said and done it was a great birthday and I hope I don't have to suffer too much tomorrow at work after all the beer I will have drank this evening. Ah well, even if I do, I'm sure I'll think it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment