Saturday, May 29, 2004

Three cheers for the Saliva Ovulation Microscope
Yeah, funky title, but I didn't want to mess with any brand names and then have to look up the HTML code for that pesky trademark character. But what I really want to know is why the hell did I only find out about such a thing from some stupid infomercial on TV at a wee hour of the morning when I couldn't sleep that night? And the US FDA, being the stupid fucks that they are, only allow advertising for GETTING pregnant rather than contraception purposes. All the same, any woman with a clue that happened to be watching could put two and two together and figure out that this could work to prevent pregnancy as well as promote it.

Rob and I have successfully avoided pregnancy through a variety of convoluted methods which do not include birth control pills. No doctor will prescribe them to me since I have migraines (never mind the pill PREVENTS migraines in my case) and I'm over 35 with a history of heart disease in my family. So I've had to pay attention to the clues my body gives as to where I might be in my cycle these last 10 years. If I'm not on the pill, I don't have the luxury of a steady cycle. It might be 28 days or it might be 45, depends. Depends on what, I haven't quite figured out yet. And while the avoidance of pregnancy has lead to an interesting and varied sex life, it's still a hassle at times. So here's something that could tell me exactly WHEN we need to stick to oral sex for a few days and I'm finding out about it from a damn infomercial! There's something not right about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment