Tuesday, May 11, 2004

POST SCRIPT

I thought about some other stuff that happened today :

I have had Sid (viscous, the horribly tempered blue tongued skink) out on the back deck for the last couple of days. He loves it but he's still the purest distillation of pissed off I've ever seen. Since he's been outside, instead of the usual hissing he's been adding the tongue display. That amazing blue tongue that has been aptly described as an orchid petal.
I acquired Sid around 5 years ago from a local pet shop. He was in a 20 gallon aquarium on a lower shelf.Child level, in fact. I have seen these children before- banging away, banging on the glass in glee of the hissing and posturing, of the fear. I had to get him out of there. At first, I tried to tame him down, but it was no use. You had to wear long sleeves and gloves to handle him, push his head down and grasp him behind the head so he wouldn't bite you. When he bit it hurt, even through thick gloves, and he would do the death roll like a croc, just to drive the point home.
So now I just make sure he's fed and watered and speak softly to him. It's the least I can do. Maybe he'll come around some day.After all, who can blame him for being bitter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of my friends from the old job called me today with a lead on some work/business related stuff. It appears there is a rival pool company looking for a manager. I don't know what I did to deserve such good karma, but I'm not complaining.
Then the bad news.
Seems my friend was having breakfast with another of my old work mates and they were discussing recent events. One comment stood out. The other guy was wondering why, at inventory (when we stayed late to finish the count) "everyone" knew that my firing was imminent, yet I acted like I had no clue. My friend responded-he didn't know.
Admittedly "everyone" is a relative term. I understand rumors, I also understand that when things are fixing to go south for someone at my former workplace that, indeed, "everyone" hears about it except the future intended victim.
It's a kind of diarrhea of the mouth that everyone catches except said intended victim. A contagion of half truths and speculation that more often than not, comes true. I know this because I have been a part of the circle game more than once in the 6 years I was employed there.
There is really only one reason why this bothered me. If what my friend told me is true, there were key personal who knew of my fate (and by key I mean people I trusted and considered close friends). One has already come clean, one has assured me he didn't know until the night before, almost a week after the count.
The issue here is not about losing my job... sure that sucks, but I've seemed to land on my feet.Ann is thrilled that I'm not there anymore. Losing this job was ultimately a good thing all the way around.
The reason I'm so bothered by this is the value of friendship, and trust. And the serious doubts I have about my gut. I used to be able to read people all the time, I was rarely wrong. I understand that a psych hospital is a microcosm and the bullshit flies in a limited space, but come on...bullshit is just that, wherever it's flying.
I should be able to sort this out... all of these people are amateurs compared to me and my mindbending ability to smell bullshit. Or are they?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, it's starting to sprinkle again...we've had rain today. I already tried to kill this laptop once today, better not do it again :)
See Ya tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment