Saturday, May 29, 2004

My inner muse has ADHD
I have started so many half-finished posts over these last two months. There's no point in revisiting any of the half-thoughts since I can't go back to where I was at the time I started them. I suppose I might as well just start posting on the fly; along the lines of the stream of consciousness type posting that Rob does. I've only done business writing where I had no editor and I've always had to self-edit, as I wrote, because the memo, policy or decree was usually due in the next 10 minutes. Self-editing is a good way to squash your creativity and it's this that's always prevented me from getting past chapter three in a novel. It also usually prevents me from completing a post these days when inner muse gets ADHD and thinks taking out the trash is something she needs to do now because there was no room for another beer bottle and then discovers a weed that needs to be pulled next to the trash can and well, on it goes until she discovers an unfinished post sitting on the computer screen as she shuts down to take the laptop to work the next day. And of course, the inner muse won't dare post an unfinished, unedited post because... well, she doesn't really have a good reason why other than it's not "finished." Rob, on the other hand, doesn't seem to care if he has spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, uncompleted thoughts and sentences or incorrect punctuation. He just posts, warts and all. And I admire that even though it makes me cringe sometimes. And now here goes my muse on an ADHD trip again as Rob asks for my advice on centering a mask on the dining room wall... fuck it, I'm going to publish and let the chips fall where they may....

No comments:

Post a Comment