Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Who knew?
After all the negative feedback I've received at work lately, I was very surprised to see myself ranked 4th on the monthly performance competition for March. Not sure why I was surprised since the workplace is so full of contradiction, but I did take some small satisfaction from the ranking.

I'm also chuckling at my failed attempt the other day to ditch the "She Who is Never Tardy" title. I'm one of those weird people who leave the house early to allow for things such as traffic jams, rainy weather (Austin drivers freak out when it rains) and other unexpected events that could delay one's commute. As I result I'm at the office 15 to 30 minutes early which could be a good thing if I was able to actually use that time to get ready for the day. Instead, I'm usually grabbed the moment I walk in and tasked with something. I decided that I would stop giving that extra 15 to 30 minutes to the workplace and resolved to leave the house at a time that would put me to work only 5 minutes early if traffic conditions were average. In the process I forgot to grab my laptop and I cannot do my job without it so half-way there I had to turn around and go back for it. Surely this would garner me tardy points, but I still managed to arrive at work on time despite road construction on the way. That turned out to be a good thing since starting the very next day, I learned that tardies and absences were going to be weighted very heavily on performance rankings. I guess I'll stick with my old habit of leaving for work early and instead will work on developing a better snarl when I walk in the door so people will leave me alone.

PS - If I had enough clothes to pull it off, I would start wearing black and blue to work every day - I wonder if anyone would get it?

No comments:

Post a Comment