Wednesday, February 15, 2006

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

On our way to a job site today, we were sitting at the intersection of Speedway and 21st street on the inner campus, which is by the bidness skool and perhaps the busiest intersection on the whole campus for foot traffic (kick the top off an ant mound and you'll begin to get an idea). You've got kids crossing everywhere on foot, on bikes, on skateboards...and since they have the right of way, our 3/4 ton truck is invisible to them. As the driver of this truck, I have to be hyper vigilant. So, I'm looking to the right and straight ahead (where most of the traffic comes from at this intersection) and all of a sudden Rusty hollers "Holy shit!!!" and I'm like whaaa? cause I don't see anything unusual, and he says "that guys having a seizure!" and points to the left. And sure enough, in a moving sea of college kids there's this guy very obviously having a gran maul seizure. Rusty gets on the phone to 911 and I jump out of the truck and head toward this guy. Meanwhile, a well meaning student is holding him down (wrong) and a crowd gathers around him (wrong) and some girl says "put a pencil in his mouth!" (very wrong) . By the time I got there cooler heads had prevailed and they had turned him on his side (right) and put something under his head (right) and let him ride it out (very right). He came out of the seizure and almost immediately went into another gran maul, poor guy. This one was much shorter and then the fire truck Rusty summoned with his call arrived.
When I worked at the state school I saw people having seizures all the time, but that was a long time ago. I was kind of freaked out by it. But I still knew what to do...but I was glad someone else with that knowledge got to him before I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment