Sunday, July 13, 2008

Recap
July 4th was every bit the horrible holiday at work that I thought it would be. I probably set myself up for that by expecting it and maybe if I had gone into work with a more positive attitude it would not have been so bad. But I woke up that morning with a sore throat and an ear ache so positive thinking was a bit out of my reach. And then Saturday, that day of the week that we are always short-staffed even though it's our busiest day... that day I felt horrible, like I had the flu, but I dragged myself into work anyway and somehow managed to make it through the day. I'm surprised I didn't get pulled over on the way home as a suspected DWI, but fortunately I didn't hit anything other than a few curbs and was able to get my ass into bed the moment I got home. That started a long blur of feverish days and nights. I vaguely remember going to the doctor on Wednesday where I learned that I had a sinus infection and a much higher fever than I thought - apparently our home thermometer is off by about 2 degrees. I also remember trying to hang on to consciousness at Walgreens while I waited for my prescriptions where I bought Theo a stuffed hedgehog dog toy instead of the new thermometer that I intended to buy. Theo doesn't play with toys anymore so why I bought that is a mystery, but I suppose it made some sort of sense to my feverish brain at the time. And well, it is a pretty damn cute stuffed toy so maybe I just needed something to make me smile.

I went back to work on Friday, still running a fever and that day is a bit of a blur as well. But yesterday I was fever-free and I had the misfortune of being fully engaged in every agonizing moment of what ranks as one of the worst days at work I have ever experienced. I'm not sure how I managed to stay in my seat and not run screaming for the door before the end of my shift. And I'm amazed that I kept my cool during the unending string of supervisor calls since it was one right after another for the whole six hours. The thought that it was a short shift kept me going . I also knew that I had a 12 pack of beer at home that had been sitting there for a whole week and I could go home, get drunk and by the next morning, the day would be history. And that's exactly what I did. Went home, got drunk and sure enough, this morning I find that yesterday is, in fact, history. This is one instance where getting drunk was exactly the right thing to do. I woke up feeling great and I don't give a shit about anything that happened at work yesterday. Perfect. It's gonna be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment