Saturday, August 06, 2005

A vicious cycle
I think in my last post a couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I'd been promoted at work and that it happened at the same time the call volumes apparently doubled. Well, thanks to the increase in the number of calls I take where I simply cannot hear the customer unless I cram the earpiece of my headset into my ear and simultaneously lean over into the most quiet spot at my desk, I managed to develop a big knot in my right shoulder which left me, at the end of the work day with a low grade tension headache. After a few days that knot in my shoulder then turned into a sore neck and a major "the right side of my head is going to explode" tension headache. That headache triggered a migraine which triggered another tension headache which triggered another migraine and round and round I've gone for the last couple of weeks. I hate when this happens because it's like having the flu. There's nothing that fixes it other than time. Yeah, there's medication out there, but so far I haven't found any thing that works for me. And quite frankly, with some of them, I'd rather spend a week or two or three with the headache from hell than die of a heart attack. Now I'm sure I'd change my tune if this happened all the time, but it's not even an annual occurrence. So I'd rather put up with it than opt for a "who knows what that pill is going to do to me" solution. I'm on the tail end of it now so another few days, maybe a week and it will be another distant memory. Unless it costs me my job. Because while I've continued to go to work each day, I haven't exactly been following the Quality Assurance template. I've been nice to the customers and I've fixed their problems, but I couldn't manage to pull off those pesky details like thanking them for information, calling them by their last name or branding the call. After all, when your head hurts like hell, something's gotta give.

No comments:

Post a Comment