Tuesday, September 16, 2003

NUTRITIONAL FACTS...
About a month ago I was instructed by my doctor to return to my ideal weight, which calculated out to 2 pounds a week through the month of november.
I eliminated red meat,fried foods and all of the old stand by snacks...no coke either.
At this point I have lost 10 of the pounds I need to achieve my goal.
I started to ride a bike too,but it was too hot and I am waiting for decent temps to begin this part of the plan. I haven't always been an active guy,but in the past I was a 3 time a week at the local health club...health clubs are different than they were 20 years ago,so I opted for the bike/swim route.
I have limited my beer consumption...some who know me would say that I have been a poster child for substance abuse....to this I say...yeah,I like to party.To my surprise, this aspect of my diet has been easy,in fact,it's all been easy.
But one sinister aspect has presented itself...I am now a card carrying member of the compendium of nutritional facts...available on food labels everywhere in your local grocery.
I never looked at this shit before...never gave it a second thought,but now my trips to the grocery are a protracted, brow furrowing field study into which foods will kill you and which foods won't. I almost enjoy it, but to admit that I do would somehow tarnish me...imagine that,Rob...you're a label freak.
The payoff for all of this is a longer, healthier life...but I'm not focused on that.
I'm focusing on that day in late november when I can look in the mirror and say "This is why you've been doing this...your not 'husky' anymore."Call me shallow, but being thinner is important...the health benefits are a welcome, secondary benefit.
Next on the list is to quit smoking...but that's a later battle for say, my next new years resolution.
The joy's of middle age after a misspent youth...if there is an ode for you it was written by the Cure, probably in 1982.

No comments:

Post a Comment